OpenAI GPT-4 Announcement, Waiting list and Live Stream in 2 hours

The GPT-4 paper, without useful detail on model size, parameters, training methods other than a generic 2017 RLHF reference

1 Like

ChatGPT-Plus subscribers will get capped GPT-4 access.

1 Like

Does the mention of 8K context window - 32K context window, refer to the maximum tokens (like the 4000 tokens in text-davinci-003) ?

2 Likes

yes, exciting, but more expensive

1 Like

Now lets pray they don’t break AIPRM again

2 Likes

Cap of 100 messages every 4 hours

1 Like

100 messages are fair to me.

Training cut off also September 2021?

Is this true?

UPDATE:
I’ve watched their video announcement and Greg also confirmed training data cut-off Sept 2021

1 Like

Now that is unexpected in the extreme, so I share your doubts. It makes it seem like it is using the exact same carefully pre-selected training corpus, but simply allowed to run longer and deeper in building the associations - think of it like the neural connections between memories and thoughts in the mind - so that it has a deeper and broader conceptualization of the exact same data… Definitely not what we’d have expected.

That would indeed be a rather fast, ‘down and dirty’ way of building the new version very quickly, as the preselection of training data has to be one of the most human-intensive parts of the whole business (though certainly not the most expensive - that is always the runtime).

2 Likes

The GPT-4 paper, without useful detail on model size, parameters, training methods other than a generic 2017 RLHF reference

2 Likes

One thing I certainly noticed is that there was absolutely no mention at all of multi-modal output, even while showing us very clearly a detailed level of multi-modal input (the ability to process image input and analyse the image in depth).

Naturally, I now wonder if the Microsoft Suit doing his talk misunderstood where the multi-modality would be working, or if this is something they just didn’t want to talk about yet (but that would seem odd given a senior MS suit already announcing it and so it clearly being ‘out’ in the public domain).

2 Likes

The video was great. He was very nervous because there is a lot at stake, but he presented it great.
The “note” to the finished website story was of course awesome.
The great thing about the story is: if they have a running system now, it can optimize itself or give the developers hints on how to further optimize and improve it.
About Discord: Christoph, maybe you underestimate Discord a little bit. Discord Developer Portal - You can do a lot of cool things with it…

2 Likes

It’s not so much that we don’t know what amazing and cool things can be done with Discord, @Georg_Franz but more that we moved from Facebook largely because we didn’t want to be reliant upon (and beholden to) a third-party that even theoretically could take away our own access to our own community.

With a forum, great old tech as it is, the data is entirely our own, and Christoph always has full and ultimate admin rights over it. When building a community is a serious consideration, that ownership is a major consideration. Just like the difference between owning the land where your business is located, or renting it on contracts, and always accepting that the landlord could sell your contract, or their whole business, or evict you, just because they chose to and it suited their current objectives, not yours…

1 Like

That’s it, self-control.

I couldn’t care less about fancy features when I risk I could lose control over night, without reasonable recourse.

1 Like

GPT-4 API Pricing review

GPT-4 for prompts is 14x more expensive than the ChatGPT API;

GPT-4 for completions is 29x more expensive than the ChatGPT API.

But ChatGPT 3.5 just dropped to 10% over GPT3, so it’s more like a 3x.

Source: https://archive.is/2023.03.15-040021/https://medium.com/sopmac-labs/gpt-4-api-pricing-analysis-a507a4bf9829

2 Likes