Are we able to identify ourselves, as humans?

Governments are talking about identifying AI generated results as protective measure against misuse, and thatโ€™s right. But ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐˜† ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—น๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐˜€, as humans?

Globally, as human civilization, we struggle to identify the most basic entities in our world. People and Businesses.

The US doesnโ€™t have a person ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ฑ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜€ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ด๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป register. Therefore address verification happens there, and across many other countries, by mailing in some random โ€œutility billโ€ assuming that someone who pays for electricity in a place, also lives there.

The ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜† ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ด๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป register is different in every country, in every state. And if you want to have a bit more reliable print out from it it costs you dozens of $ for a report that looks like in the 80ies. Not machine-readable anywhere. Humans are required to read and approve that. Cross-country business verification is a mess.

Tax IDs, even in a โ€œharmonizedโ€ Europe can only be validated automatically for their ID, but not against a specific unique Company entity. It works via Address matching. Itโ€™s likely and possible that wrong VAT IDs are used with similar, but wrong, company addresses. Of course humans are here to help and fix all that months or years down the line in a tax audit.

Legally required acceptance of ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ฐ ๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ป๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, as required by EIDAS law since the 90ies in EU is accepted or rejected on a case by case basis, even from financial organizations like PayPal. Compared to the US thatโ€™s still OK, where still in 2023 no common legally binding electronic signature exists and people keep ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ฐ๐˜‚-๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฎ โ€œ๐—ฝ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฎ ๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ป๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒโ€ ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐—ฃ๐——๐—™๐˜€.

Adding to that, roughly 50% of the US Citizens ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ ๐˜ƒ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฑ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜. So no address verification system, and not even an internationally โ€œcompatibleโ€ ID verification system that could be used.

Personal data shall be protected, yet a consistent and correct identification of the person to protect is unsolved in many relevant parts of the world.

Yes, itโ€™s desirable to know if somebody used a spell-checker or a ChatGPT to write a piece of text, for some.

But is this the real problem?

Of course a perfect deep-fake of myself signing up for random bank accounts across the world must be avoided.

I personally donโ€™t care if the content I write was written with the help of others, machine or human.

But are our current procedures to identify ourselves error-free to begin with? Have ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ gone thru one of those phone-id procedures lately?

There are basic administrative flaws in the western world, still unsolved - way more fundamental than AI Content foot printing. And I donโ€™t see many people talking about improving those basics.

Are we able to correctly and easily identify ourselves, as humans?

I think this is where it starts, and this is where the AI identification will need to tie in.

2 Likes