Nobody wakes up thinking: "I need to chat with that PDF!

๐—ก๐—ผ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐˜† ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐˜‚๐—ฝ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด: โ€œ๐—œ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ฃ๐——๐—™!โ€
Whatโ€™s the point of โ€œchatting with a PDFโ€?

OpenAI now starts rolling out that use case where you can upload a document or a small set of documents (I heard of a limit of 5) to start asking it questions.

This may seem like a novel, new exciting feature, to many. But it has been around for ages and is the prototype example, the first โ€œstarter codeโ€ (AKA โ€œHello Worldโ€) whenever you look into the setup for RAG (Retrieval Augmented Generation).

The concept is simple: slice up that document, store it in a database, and inject relevant parts back into the prompt.

Thereโ€™s also been a couple software startups that have been doing that with varying success and functionality, generally known as โ€œChat with PDFโ€ apps. These apps may come under pressure now more.

But my question is of another type:

If I have a specific document that I would like to review, then this is maybe a valid use case. Maybe I have this 80 page financial report, and didnโ€™t find the paragraph headed โ€œManagement Summaryโ€, or maybe Iโ€™m not able to find all the the details manually. Granted.

But I do NOT have just one specific document to analyze.

I have

โ€ข product descriptions
โ€ข marketing content
โ€ข legal terms & conditions
โ€ข prior customer communication
โ€ข internal SOPS

just to name a few ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ๐˜ด of documents that want the AI to be aware of.

Thereโ€™s no way Iโ€™m going to find and upload the relevant documents to every prompt I write.

In fact, the pre selection to the relevant documents is like cheating, itโ€™s like instructing Google to search only very specific parts of a website that I know well and that should have the relevant answer. It misses a huge part of the โ€œsearch intelligenceโ€.

I want to get help from AI to

โ€ข write a sales response, and have relevant product features suggested from my manuals and website

โ€ข respond to a customer complaint with all details about our terms & conditions, including links

โ€ข write a new blog post that helps me internally link to other relevant blog posts on the topic

โ€ข give a new employee tips and links to our SOPS, via a prompt where they ask questions - or another one where I can quickly summarize and reference relevant material

These are some use cases that we at AIPRM look into, and work on at the moment.

This will probably be the most powerful feature AIPRM has delivered so far, still in active development and test.

But some of our most active AIPRM Elite (and up) users will soon get an invite to try our upcoming feature โ€œCustom Indexesโ€โ€ฆand that will allow to accomplish such use cases.

I canโ€™t wait!

๐˜œ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ญ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ โ€œ๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜—๐˜‹๐˜โ€ ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ.

3 Likes